Thursday, 24 May 2012

Nap Time Project: Fabric covered magazine file box

Title pretty much says it all! Was looking for a nice way to store patterns, and we had a whole lot of cardboard file boxes lounging about, and I've got soooo much fabric I can spare some for this!

Finished and full of patterns
Process is pretty easy - cut two rectangles to fit the sides + a bit of overlap, PVA glued them onto the sides and over the edges of the box. Then cut a strip to fit the front, ironed the edges in so it looks neat and tidy, and PVA'd that on top, tucking the ends inside and under as well. Went over all the edges with a good lot of PVA smeared on my finger, and left to dry. As the PVA dries clear, it's fine to smear it all over the place, it won't be seen once it's all dry. Didn't take enough care to smooth the fabric out properly as I was in a hurry (could hear Le Bebe stirring!), but next time I'll use a ruler or straight edge of some kind to smooth the glue on first, then smooth the fabric on top of the glue.

I used cotton quilting weight fabric, which is thick enough that the black text printed on the box doesn't show through, but almost any woven fabric should be fine - could always paint or cover up the black printing some other way (blank labels, a layer of cheap calico fabric or similar underneath before the final fabric).

I think I'll be off to Warehouse Stationary to pick up a few more magazine files and cheap cardboard storage boxes now! :)

File box drying
File box drying

Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Sewing: baby cargo pants

Sewed my first ever pair of trousers over the weekend, a pair of cord cargo pants for Le Bebe.

Used Burda Kids 9716 pattern - which goes from 3 mths to 3 years and has two sweatshirt/hoody patterns too, so should get a bit of use :)

They turned out pretty well - Le Bebe is 9 mths old, but the 9 mth pattern turned out a little too big, but still wearable and should last a few months hopefully.





Next up, stretchy monkey pants!


Monday, 14 May 2012

One for the phone nerds :)

Life has been dominated by Le Bebe and Le Sewing Machine lately! Was working like mad for all of April to get ready for the Martinborough Fair, where I had a great day selling my sewn wares (bibs, baby shoes, cushions and handbags).

So finally I'm back to doing a few things for me and mine at last, along with trying out new patterns and filling a few custom orders from friends and people I met at Martinborough Fair. Currently I'm doing some smartphone sleeves - top one fits a Galaxy Nexus phone (prezzy for the Monseiur) and is made from a recycled suit jacket, and bottom one fits my iPhone nicely (canvas and cotton fabric).

Phone covers - Samsung Galaxy Nexus on top, iPhone on bottom

Phone covers - iPhone on left, Samsung Galaxy Nexus on right

Nothing too fancy, just a basic sleeve. Not 100% happy with the finishing at the top of the cases, so looking out for good patterns with different methods to what I've been doing. Would love to put a pull tab in to help with ejecting the phone, and a closure tab of some kind that doesn't add too much extra bulk/height - that's the next pattern to conquer!

Some of the tutorials I've spotted which have some good ideas: